Yeah, I’m a Harry Potter fan. Wanna fight about it?
In keeping with her annual tradition, J.K. Rowling has put up an early Christmas present on her site for readers. I suppose the title of this post is kind of a give away, but, yes, the title of the seventh and allegedy final book in the series has been released. Like the rest of the titles, it does not give much away, although the grammar choice of the title is interesting: deathly rather than deadly.
My gut instinct on reading the title was that it had something to do with Halloween (which was the night Harry’s parents were killed), or perhaps something to do with hallowed or sacred ground. I wonder if we are going to learn about a particularly sacred spot in the wizarding world in the book, and if this is perhaps where Harry and Voldemort will have their final show down. Either way, it is going to be deathly for someone…and I suspect that we are going to learn a lot more about how exactly Harry’s parents died, because the sequence of events that night may turn out to be very important.
The question is when the book itself will come out, and there are a couple of theories on that. Here are my bets, in order of closeness:
- 21 June, 2007. The books tend to come out around the summer solstice. I, of course, would love to see it come out this early, but it seems unlikely. The book still needs to be finished, edited, prepared for print, printed, bound, and distributed. I’m not sure that this could be accomplished by that time, although perhaps if she is close to being finished…
- 7 July, 2007. 7/7/07 has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? And wizards are all about trifectas of numbers. Unfortunately, as many theorists have pointed out, Rowling is unlikely to release a book on the anniversary of the London bombings. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is being released in movie theatres on the 13th, as well. The book could serve to promote the movie…or no one would go to see the movie because they were all reading…either way, this date seems pretty unlikely.
- 31st July, 2007. Harry’s (and Rowling’s) birthday. I would lean pretty strongly for this date because I suspect that a summer release is likely.
- 31st October, 2007. I may actually explode if I have to wait this long. But…hallows?
- Some unknown date…most likely related to an event in book seven.
Here’s hoping for 21 June, because that would be awesome! But right now I am putting good money on 31st July.
I am a little disappointed in the title, but then again I was underwhelmed by Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince as a title, as well, and it has turned out to be my favourite book so far. I just hope she sends the damn thing to press soon!
Gleeful giddy gladness fills me.
[Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows]